Maria Thompson Corley

One of our Readers from the Monday Night POEMS FROM THE MOUNTAINTOP shared these poem of hers.  Thank you for your gift, Maria.


"Big Yellow Taxi"


by, Maria Thompson Corley


The world paused as

Notre Dame burned, mourning

its grandeur, crumbling

like shards of spun glass, forgetting

the toppled spires pointed

towards a God they had

long ago dismissed.

Parisians and tourists stood

in solemn worship of stone

and ancient wood.

“Our Lady,” monument to

white male creativity:

though neither, her

damaged beauty left

me bereft as they.

My cathedral burns like

candle wax, each new

ache and wrinkle a

shortening of the

wick, while my fragrance

wafts then dissipates.

Democracy had no

assumed expiration.

Lit by careless

matches, ancient timbers and lofty

towers fall to ash behind a

facade of stone.


Copyright 2019

Shared with permission


**************************************************


"I am not an Angry Black Woman"


I am not an Angry Black Woman.


I am a live butterfly, impaled by a pin.

I am not an Angry Black Woman.

I am a strapped-in passenger, careening into an approaching train.

I am not an Angry Black Woman.

I am a writhing worm on the sidewalk after rain.

I am not an Angry Black Woman.

I am an Olympic swimmer tethered to a submerged slave ship.


I am not an Angry Black Woman.

But what if I were?


Copyright 2019, Maria Thompson Corley

Shared with permission


********************************


"Escape"


You ran, heeding the

advice of a childhood

friend, lived your

life, brief but abundant,

ethereal glimpses of exotic

visions trailing in your wake:

a distant smile, beckoning like

the dawn; beauties

bored, entitled,

melanated, pale,

swathed, naked;

the scent of fruit,

the sound of thunder.

I ran, seeking places “nigger”

would never replace

my name, fleeing six months

ice and snow, dreaming

of brown-skinned lovers,

trying to dance beyond

your graveyard grasp, your

orange-stained fingers

clutching torrents of rain.

You ran, seeking

a home for your mind, so

“new and queer.”

I ran, finding

a home for my misfit

consciousness within.


Copyright 2016; revised 2019

by Maria Thompson Corley

Shared with permission





Comments

  1. Maybe the best measure of a poem is that it gets better the more times it is read. I suppose I will reach a point of saturation with "Notre Dame" like listening to a great song and have to put it away before it becomes a jingo; before it fossilizes in the consciousness like Nelson's and Cline's "Crazy" does on diner jukeboxes. Note; I've renamed the poem "Notre Dame" because I do not hear Joni Mitchell. I hear Gerard Manley Hopkins:

    The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
    Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
    Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
    Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Donate HERE